In 1909, the Army demolished the top two stories of the military citadel which had stood atop Alcatraz since the 1860s. It left the bottom level, however, to serve as a foundation and a storage area for the Cell House (finished in 1911). This view shows two doors leading into the old citadel, just beyond the pillar supporting the floor of the Cell House.

[Next Picture]